Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Two Adoption ROCK STARS....and I Know Them!!!


Audra, Steve holding new little Zadok, me, and Sharon at Zadok's placement in February 2009


Audra and Sharon have both been our case workers for our two adoptions.
They both are rock stars in our book.

Audra and her husband have been our friends since about 2001, is that right Audra?
We met them when we were all in the same ward and Audra and I both served with the young women. We developed quite a friendship with them and have some crazy memories.
We all ditched out on a ward Christmas party long ago to go see The Ring, something I still regret (I hate scary movies).
We drove all night the day after Christmas one year to go to Magic Mountain and then all four of us stayed in the same hotel room.
Another time, we crammed ourselves and another couple into a van filled with poles for a huge canopy for 5 hours to Mexico. Steve somehow injured his back on that trip and limped like a crippled up zombie the whole week. Audra had her hair braided into corn rows and I bought a mini accordion which her husband played I'm A Child of God on endlessly and then offered it up as a bribe at the border. Crazy fun times with those two.

When Steve and I attended the Families Supporting Adoption Conference in August 2008, we met up with Audra whom we hadn't seen in about 2 years. We were thrilled to learn she had just taken a job with LDS Family Services as a case worker; we thought for sure she could lead us to our baby. Five months later, she introduced us to Norma after Norma had interviewed another couple that didn't feel quite right. Two days later we were parents.

We met Sharon at Zadok's placement.
After his placement I started doing outreach events with Norma.
Sharon, Norma and I; sometimes with another birth mom or two would speak in high school or college classes about our experience in an effort to educate and promote a positive view of adoption. Sharon, who was at the time our case worker kept asking if we were going to be ready to adopt again.
I said yes even though at the time I really didn't think anything would come of it so soon.

Last December I attended Pamper Night at the birth parent group with Norma and Zadok. It's a night when the birth parents are pampered with massage, manicures, jewelry making, fun crafts and yummy food often provided by adoptive moms and other adoption workers.
Even before I started going with Norma it was a night I never missed, I love it. It gives me a chance to get to know birth moms and show my appreciation for them.
Hannah and I met and visited for a little while that night without either one of us knowing the other was looking. When Sharon asked her if she felt a connection with anyone, she said, "Yes that blond girl was really nice and her little boy is so cute." Thank you Zada!
I guess Zadok had been flirtin' it up with Hannah that night; raising one eyebrow, flashing his big grin and big brown eyes, and patting her tummy.
Hannah took it as a sign and Sharon thought we were a great fit.
Six months later Hannah and I were in the operating room holding hands as Ike was born.

Sharon really went above and beyond for all of us during those six months of waiting for Ike. In June Audra and Sharon were both there with us again at Ike's placement.

What a blessing case workers are! These two are especially amazing. In the time we have been involved with LDS Family Services they have started the birth parent group which has given support to many, many birth moms, birth dads (yes I have met a few there) and their families. This group takes a yearly retreat together, which I can only imagine as being incredibly fun and uplifting.
Each week they meet to give each other support, discuss resources and talk about all the aspects of single parenting, adoption, and getting married as options.
Recently the group has grown so much, they have started a second!
Isn't just what you would want if you were dealing with an unplanned pregnancy?

If you are interested in being a part of this group in any way you can go here for more info.

Thank you Audra and Sharon for helping us grow our family and giving such great support and love to all the birth parents you come in contact with.
We love you!

6 comments:

Amy J said...

I just love reading about your adoption journey. I have a few friends on the same journey and what a blessing adoption is! PS, I thought Audra looked familiar right away when I saw that picture. How fun for you guys to reconnect!

@jenhalloran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@jenhalloran said...

Such a great story; love reading about the process -- never really stopped to think about ALL the elements that go into a successful adoption.
And let's not forget the fabulous adoptive parents of Z and I. Your love and generosity continue to amaze me...
xoxo

Audra Owens said...

Ah...You're so nice for posting all that. What a fun whirlwind Z's placement was! I was and still am so happy I got to be involved. You guys make amazing parents and Sharon & I are proud to advertise you as "the way" couples should view and treat their birthmoms. But seriously, why do I look I have such a big belly in this picture? At first I thought, oh yeah I was pregnant, and then I remembered that on Feb. 2 when Norma placed I was only a month along...wish I could edit that little picture there...
I remember Steve playing some volleyball on the beach with all of us on that Mexico trip, is that how he hurt his back?

Norma said...

These ladies are awesome rock stars!! They have done so much for me!

The Varo's said...

I still think it's so funny that we have so many connections with Audra, outside of the adoption. I remember the day she came to the house and when I opened the door, we both had that funny look like, "What are you doing here?" I wish I knew Sharon better, all I here are good things about her too.