Sunday, February 8, 2009

Our 1st Week as a Family




































This week has been so many things: wonderful, overwhelming, exhausting, and seeing the hand of the Lord in our lives everyday. I started a very detailed post all about my feelings and the events of this last week...I'm still working on it and will post it later but here's a quick recap.

Zad and I took several naps together in my favorite chair, Grandma Dutton took several pics of him the his first morning with us, and my long time faithful visiting teacher Alicia came for a visit.

This my absolute favorite sleeping position he works himself into. He maneuvered into it during one of his naps on his first full day with us and I had to catch a quick pic. I still love it, maybe even put it as my new background.

Flowers arrived from several people; Steve's work buddies, Great-Grandma and Grandpa Frost, and Steve's sister Becky and her family (yes, the one with 5 boys, 4 years-old and under)! They are all so excited to meet our new little guy and all of Becky's boys were happy to learn their first cousin had finally arrived.

These flowers are from G&G Frost.

We took several more naps together...I love him laying on my chest while we sleep. You would think I would be more rested but no, I am still wanting more sleep. But how can I possibly sleep when all I want to do is look at my beautiful new babe.

Zadok had his first bath at our house. Norma was right, he hates to be cold and cried through most of it but that is about the only time he cries....yes we know we are lucky. Doesn't he have such a cute little body, I love it! We spared him the full nudey shots.

Zad's hair has to be one of his best features right now, it is GLORIOUS! I say this because I have very thin baby-like hair, he probably already has more than me. I love combing it, brushing it, and yes I even gave him his first mohawk! I had to, besides it fits him when he's in his little surfer outfit (pics are coming).

His hair feels like downy feathers...seriously. I love burping him and feeling it against my cheek. My brothers started calling him Zadok Black Feather this week. It is just so silky and soft and beautifully black and thick. I have been underestimating how much baby shampoo it needs and have to go back for some more. It is board straight until it gets wet and then it curls.

My cousin Jenni drove all the way from Salt Lake to be here for his placement Monday night. She is a NICU nurse at University of Utah Hospital.

Zad checked out and she said he was a very healthy boy but thought he was HUGE after taking care of all those little babies. We hope she moves closer so we can start taking hikes with her.

Two of my favorite Young Women Karlee and Shannon dropped by with their moms. I had Karlee and Shannon when they were Beehives. I can't believe they are both driving now! I also took a trip to New York City with these girls and their moms in '05 so really they all feel more like my sisters. I love these girls and really loved Zad.

Of course the week would not be complete without a visit from our Mesa cousins. Blake, Kayla, and Elizabeth take dibs on who gets to hold him first and they all have to have the same amount of turns holding him. This is only the 2nd boy cousin on my side; Steve is already excited to wrestle with Blake and Zad.

I woke up to this the 2nd morning we had him and my heart melted. I've always loved those sleeping pictures of dads with their babies and here they were...my two handsome boys.

These pictures are for Sue (Norma's mom). She is Irish and when Steve and I saw this we had to buy it. Yes, he's Irish and we smother him in kisses everyday.

We had our first visit with Norma. Mexican food at Abuelos, YUM! She held him all through lunch and gave us a chance to eat. Unfortunately, he has not figured out how to be awake during the day and asleep at night and slept for all four hours we were there! I think Steve and I have adapted more to his sleeping schedule than he to us.

Grandma Dutton visited again (thank you Mom) and my friend Jen flew down from Salt Lake to take lots and lots of pictures. We had him nude for most of the shots and because he hates to be cold so much we pulled out the space heater to keep him warm and happy. In fact he got so warm Steve noticed his little buns getting red and realized he was probably a little too warm! Norma came too, so we will be posting some of those in a week or so. I can hardly wait to see them. If you want to see some of her amazing work, check out her website link on the right Beyond Beautiful Photography (my name, not hers).

Zad and Dad chillaxed a lot this week together. Steve introduced him to all his favorite cooking shows and lots of basketball. Zad's fingers are longer than his palm right now so Steve's already talking about him palming a basketball at 5!

Steve took 4 weeks off (thank you, thank you, thank you Schwab) for lots of bonding time and lots of help for me. I know it was a stretch to cover for him at work, so thank you Schwabies! Steve is great, keeping bottles clean, getting up at night, and dancing with him around the house. I love watching them together and I love being boy trapped (as any 5-year-old will call it) again!

11 comments:

Tami Allred said...

I'm just so happy for you guys, thanks for posting and sharing. I was impressed that you already have pictures framed of your cute lil baby. What great parents you are. Have fun love.

Lindsay said...

I love the pictures! Especially the bath time ones--so cute! Your life has been flipped completely upside down, but it just looks like there is so much love in your home that sleepless nights don't matter. :)

The Varo's said...

When we saw that you had updated your blog, everyone gathered around the computer to look! He is getting so big and I love that picture of him in his diaper with Steve. We are so excited to see you guys on Friday! We love you.

Norma said...

OH MY GOSH! I love all these pics!! You two are amazing parents! I love you all so much.

Kristin said...

i love how when you post a new blog it's the highlight of my day. :) what a pretty little boy! That hair is gorgeous, you're right! You two are amazing parents. :) How fun! and what a blessing!

Melissa Zuber said...

I love his hair. I love those bonding moments with a baby asleep on you. It is so soothing and peaceful. I am so happy for you guys!

Audra Owens said...

I love watching your blog and your life as you adapt to being a family! What a beautiful life he will have with you two and how lucky Norma is to have you! I'll have to ask Sharon to let me swap a supervisory visit with her!

Fauset Photography said...

Guess what I'm doing RIGHT NOW....editing your pics...they are SO cute! I'm on a role, gotta go. :)
p.s. you guys are amazing parents!

Leslie said...

What great pictures and thanks for sharing them. I am so happy for you and for the unselfishness of Norma! Blessings all around!

Kenna said...

Zadok is so lucky to have the two of you for parents. I am so happy your sweet little blessing finally arrived.

A said...

Congrats! I knew it would work out for you guys. The next year is going to be so fun for you. Having kids is so fun!