Thursday, October 29, 2009

Too Good To Be True


So I've already been in bed tonight all ready to go to sleep for work tomorrow. But I just can't sleep thinking of Norma. I know many of you are probably sick of hearing me talk about how wonderful she is to me, so you can skip this. In fact, right now I have some of the cutest Halloween pictures and stories to tell about Zad's first Halloween. But for tonight that will have to wait.

Tonight was our ward's Halloween Trunk or Treat. I invited Norma at the last minute a few nights ago not knowing if she would want to come but she did, so she did; get it? Afterwards we came back here and bathed and dressed Zad for bed. She wrestled him in his pre-bed wild state for a while before she left and for some reason I started asking her some questions about if she missed being his mother. She said, "yes." I asked her a few more questions and we talked for a little bit, the three of us with Pirate Z crawling and climbing around thinking we were all there to entertain him.

Hours later I was rummaging around our pantry when I found a little bottle of Gas-X for babies. I put it there back in January after Norma gave it to me the night she gave us Z. I have glanced at it all year and thought of her but tonight I just stopped and for a moment if felt like my heart stopped too.

I remembered her handing it to me so gingerly after all the hubbub had died down. I remembered her explaining why and how she would give it to him. I didn't get it back then but she was talking to me mother to mother. She had written up a whole list of his likes and dislikes that she had discovered in just his first two weeks of life. I remember thinking, "How could she possibly know all that already?" I didn't get it then but I get it now. She was his mother then and some things mothers just know. I didn't get then how a mother would feel if she were handing off her most cherished piece of herself. How much that mother would want to make sure I knew all I could about him so that I could care for him the best. I remember loving her for her sacrifice but just not understanding really all that she was giving up, I felt numb that night. Really, I felt numb for months afterwards. Numb since that first phone call that there was a girl my age in Queen Creek, who had just decided to place her 10-day old baby boy, and was looking for a couple that was willing to be in an open adoption. I remember for several minutes wondering if I had dreamed it all. It just seemed too good to be true. I just now feel like I might be thawing a bit.

Z and everything that came with him was just such a huge change; along with becoming a mother for the first time I really inherited a wonderful new family. It feels as though I got married again; new man in my life, new family that came with him, new ways of doing everything, new schedules, new career so to speak, blessing and sealing to plan, baby showers, rearranging my house, babysitters, more laundry, baby sized everything, visitors on top of visitors, and then speaking on adoption twice a month or so. And all of that with about 48 hours notice.

Through it all I just didn't get it.... until tonight.

Tonight with just a glance at that bottle of baby drops I felt maybe a little of what Norma felt that night. My heart physically hurt for her again as I realized just how much she gave of herself for him. This time I felt for her not as a person watching another hurt as a bystander, but as a mother. A mother who would send all the instruction and advice she could to give that baby the best she could if she were in my place. My heart aches tonight for that mother. And I'm complaining about not being about to shop at BR anymore? How could I even compare her sacrifice to my inconvenience? Who am I?




Then I think of the Savior and the Father of us all. How grateful I am to have become a mother this way. To see the Savior and His sacrifice and the sacrifice our Father made in a deeper, richer, more vibrant light. To have gained an inkling of Their pain and Their love for me and all of us. To know that They love us even more than Norma and Steve and I combined love Z. It makes me want to do all I can do to live the best life I can, to forgive others, be more patient, more kind, more loving, and give Z the very best of who I am because he deserves nothing less. How blessed we all are and especially me.


Z, Steve, Norma, and all of my family and blessings..... they still seem too good to be true.

6 comments:

Norma said...

Oh Angie! I love you so much! I know that people think that we are wierd/odd/strange/crazy for having this kind of open adoption, but it suits us.

When you asked me if I missed him, my insides did a little flip. I miss him alot but I know that he is where the Lord wanted him to be. I know you and Steve take very good care of him and spoil him :). I know that you love him so much because you waited so long for him. I know that you love the Lord and will raise Zaddy to do the same. I also know that I will be able to see all of this because we have a bond. Like Monica said the first night we met, Sisters in Zion.

I love you guys so much. You have become my family and I know you want me to progress in my life. Thank you for everything.

Jacqui said...

Wow. Speechless. Beautiful post. What a bond you have.

Audra Owens said...

I feel so blessed to know both you, Norma and the story of your adoption. What a great experience. I can only bet Heavenly Father smiles down with his approval at how Christlike you all have been to each other.

Tami Allred said...

Very eloquent and again I did not have my tissues near by. Every time I open your blog, I think nah, I won't cry and then bam, my eyes start leaking. It's always a gamble and I'm a slow learner.
Your family is dear. I love your unconditional love for everyone and Norma you are my new hero.

The Smith's said...

You are both so lucky to have each other. It was nice meating Norma at the trunk or treat. I wished I could have visited with her more. You guys are both amazing

Lori said...

Wow. I never thought about all of that, Angie. That is beautiful to think about. You are both wonderful mothers. I know Zadok is so lucky and loved!

Have fun this Halloween! It'll be fun to see pictures.