Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hail to My Birth Mothers....You Deserve Every Honor.

I absolutely had to post this on my blog as soon as I read it. In fact I just finished reading it twice. Once to myself and once aloud to Steve. It is one of the most well written articles I have ever read on adoption and birth mothers.

Thank you Raina Kelley and thank you Newsweek for bringing it to the world. Thank you for saying so clearly what I have felt for years. The next time I try to explain to someone why we chose adoption, why we choose open adoption at that, or why I love my children as if they were born of me I will pull out this article and read it to them. Because my children are born of me, not of my womb but of my heart.

Sometimes, when people ask me why I care so deeply and am so affected by the women who willing place their babies with me I want to ask them to think about how much they love their children. Then ask them that if you were to witness a woman in a state of such humility that she chose to break her own heart to place her child in your arms would your heart not break just a little too? When she tells you that you are the best thing she can imagine for her child, would you not also feel so humble that you hardly feel worthy of the task? Would you not forever after smile when you heard her name, wonder if you in her position would have that kind of strength when you see that child do something great, and when you kneel down to thank your Heavenly Father for that child, could you not also thank Him for her?

Love this article!

2 comments:

The Waits said...

Beautiful!

Lori said...

That's such a good article. We are so excited for you guys! And so grateful for Hannah!