Monday, November 9, 2009

Tomatoes!


I haven't canned tomatoes for about two years...how I have missed their fresh taste in all my soups and chili. Using store bought tomatoes does not even come close. I've been thinking I missed the season to can them but then my friend Dyan came through and sent me a great connection! Normally I do most of my canning of fruit in the middle of the hot, hot, and miserable summer. But canning in November is a DREAM!!!! It was so much nicer, cooler and just seamed easier this time of year.

Canning in November means no cranking down the A/C, no multiple fans blowing from all directions, no steam from all the boiling water and pressure canners cooking yourself along with the fruit; basically I'm not sweating it out for 4-8 hours! I did all the tomato canning with my sister-in-law Jenny and best of all we had one canner going outside on a camping burner! Wow, that was nice! It went pretty quickly and we each came out with 14 quarts of stewed deliciousness!






Oh, and Z was there as well!


5 comments:

Melissa Zuber said...

AHHH I wish I lived closer! I have never done them. That looks like a B.L.A.S.T!!!

Kenna said...

They look beautiful! Wish I was there, too!

Dyan said...

Looks good I am glad you were able to get some.

Lori said...

Wow! You ladies are hard core. Confession: I've never canned in my life. My dream is to can peaches, though. Home canned peaches are so so so very delicious! And I absolutely love peach pie, and happen to have a recipe that you can used can peaches with! Anyway... you girls seriously tore it up getting all of that done in one day! Sheesh.

I have to say that your comment on my post about moving made my day. ;) It's fun when someone else is so excited for us, too! I just think it'll be awesome, and I seriously hope we get to hang out. A lot. :) I've gotta get to know Jenny better, too. She seems like an awesome chica. So thanks for your comment! I can't believe how much time has gone by since we stayed with you guys. That was almost exactly a year ago, and so much has happened since then! We think you guys are awesome.

Ali said...

Good for you. I have no idea how to can. How domestic. Someday...

what's your email? so i can invite you to the blog

aliseaman79 AT gmail DOT com